Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Strange Traditions and Rituals are Afoot!

So ever since it started getting cold outside, it seems like Mom and Dad have me doing some weird stuff. Strange outfits, colorful decorations, and big meals have been a weekly thing it seems. Though it's been fun, I don't seem to quite understand the point if it all. I'll talk to the kids at daycare about it and see what thay know.

So a while back, when the trees were all different colors, we drove over to see Great Grandpa and Grandma Kneffel. Mom put me in a funny outfit. It was soft and fuzzy... and Dad kept taking pictures of me in it. While we sat and talked, people kept coming to their door and Great Grandpa Tom kept giving them candy. This went on for a few hours. The people looked really funny, and sometimes I wasn't even sure if they were people at all. It was silly, but kinda scary. I had fun.

A few weeks later we headed over to Papa and Grammy's house in Grand Rapids. Right when we got there, I noticed that it smelled really good. Papa and Grammy were running around the kitchen with all sorts of bowls and plates of things. Then, out came "the bird". It didn't look like a bird, but everyone kept calling it one. Aunt Carrie, Uncle Billy, Andy, and Emily all came over, too. They all ate a lot of food, but I couldn't keep from thinking that that "bird" looked like it could use that outfit Mom had put me in a few weeks before... it must have been cold. Dad and Papa were also busy putting trees and lights all around the house for a couple of days. I've never seen a tree inside before, but the lights were very pretty. From top to bottom, Papa and Grammy's house was covered in green and red, light and glitter, and some chubby guy with a beard. That Kenny Rogers guy really let himself go.

So the day after the feast, Grandma and Grandpa Buck drove up and met Mom, Dad, and I at a big mall. Now I'm no stranger to these "malls", but this was different. There were A LOT more people than usual, and everyone seemed either in a real big hurry, or they were just standing around in a long, long, long line. Dad told me that this was capitalism in action. Ok, Dad...whatever you say (Dad says silly things sometimes... I don't have the heart to tell him he's nuts). Anyways, we were out there all day, and it was fun to see all of the commotion. I had to take a couple naps, but all-and-all it was fun.

It seems as if this idea of bringing trees inside has caught on, and Mom and Dad brought one inside the other day. I like looking at all of the little toys and shinny things on it...it's pretty. There's a little town undeneath it that lights up, too. Mom told me that this Kenny Rogers-looking guy's going to come around to everyone's house and give them things. That's great and all, but I just hope I don't get his CD. Dad plays alot of great music for me, but "You Decorated My Heart" is a song I could do without. I'll stick with the Coldplay, U2, and that other band the kids seem to like these days.

We'll I can't wait to see what other crazy stuff I get to take part in over the next few weeks. This is all quite strange to me. Next thing you know, they'll be talking about giant rabbits going around and giving candy to kids, or little angels who shoot people with magic arrows. Ha, now I'm just being silly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Evie,
I feel like I know you so well as Grammie Greenwald sends me your picture quite often. I will have to find out from Grammie when you are in Grand Rapids next so I can come over to meet you and give you hugs and kisses. Be a good little girl for mommy and daddy and I hope Santa brings you alot of fun things.
Love,
Aunt Madeline

Anonymous said...

Hi Evie,
If you think that "bird" we had for Thanksgiving was strange wait til your dad has to explain to you what the "ham" we are having for Christmas actually is.

Grammie has me on the floor wrapping presents for you and Emily last night. My knees are killing me today. Haven't spent so much time on my knees since I left the seminary. Your dad will have fun explaining that one to you too.

Can't wait to see you for Christmas.

Papa